February 06, 2012

First anniversary of my dardnaak accident

What happened exactly a year ago turned me into Iron Man. I met with an accident and broke my collar bone. Since the operation, I have a metal plate with six screws on my left shoulder. The plate's and screws' contour is clearly visible on my shoulder and I've flaunted it to almost all of my friends in Bangalore. They gasp in awe.

The accident was my worst, as it happened just a week before Bryan Adams' Greatest Hits concert, for which I had bought ticket by shelling out Rs3,500. My two teeth chipped off; I haven't got them filled yet. The accident was so bad that all the parts of my bike, except engine, had to be changed. Had to spend Rs28,000 on repairing the bike but the insurance company will reimburse only half the amount. Can't forget how my favourite pair of shoes was torn in the accident. After I recovered, I bought another pair of the same design. But this pair got stolen from outside my door. Ah, the sad story of my life...


A
nother downside of the accident was that I was restricted to my room during the spring season, my favourite time of the year. Couldn't go to Cubbon Park to see how trees become denuded and then lush green in a matter of days. And how can I forget that I had to discontinue gym. It was a Saturday night and on the coming Monday, my trainer was about to increase my dose of bodybuilding supplement. Yeah, I had paid about Rs4,000 for bodybuilding supplement. Had paid Rs10,000 for the gym's annual fees, btw. Had been sweating it out for three-four months and the result was... Oh, man, I had lovely biceps. Now, I'm back to the malnourished-pickpocket look.

It was at a crossing that I had met with the accident. I clearly remember, just before approaching the crossing, I was telling the guy on the pillion: "Man, this crossing is dangerous." And the next thing I remember was that I woke up in a hospital. It's alrite, it's great, actually. Now I have a story to tell. For soldiers, scars are badges of honour.


I don't have much to say today. Actually, I want to write about how the accident kept me away from my bike for so long and blah. That will be a long post, will do it some other day. It will be about how I learnt bike (it was through accidents only). That will be later.


It was after finishing work on the night of February 5 that I had met with the accident. Move the clock a year ahead; that brings us to today. I had promised the pillion rider (his right leg was fractured and he had taken four months off work) that on the anniversary of our accident, I'd take him home on my bike. I should go now. I wonder if he'd come. About a week ago too I offered him drop but he, and all other colleagues who live near my place, made some excuse and shied away. Let me try to persuade him today. (And I laugh a devilish laugh...)

No comments: